LIVE PROGRESS REPORT (updated: 1/15/19)
A) if you don’t like to see live project updates and want to see finished product come back here after Feb 15. This page is going to constantly be reordered and simplified until essence of project is left for ultimate impact.
B) This page contains unit 3 design, project updates, and announcements in real time. It is a master page for “All Truth on One Page” simplicity. Readers have access to how our consulting project management thinks.
Daily Status Updates:
Tue Jan 15:
Pepe leaves: 5:12 pm, 8:10 am arrival
BATH 1 NEXT BUY: buy shower surround, rainfall shower head, pipes for shower head, 5 min wall plaster (5 bags), find measurement to fit in mirror towel cabinet, philips screw head
NEXT ACTION: leave tile for last, remove bathtub, rainfall shower head install - needs plumbing pipe (get measurement and buy it), install fixtures.
(Pepe) open wall, what’s the next step? Two 8-10 ft copper half inch, 2” or 1.5” not sure drain pipe, tyshower base, run plumbing drain
(Swat) find Pipe lengths (done) get materials today, ready for tomorrow.
WORK PERFORMED 1/15/19: 8 am - 9 pm
12:30 pm: Update: bathroom in progress
11 am: Mark/Swat Unit 3: DESIGN CHANGE
- Design Change: for now timeline changed to 2 weeks. Completion date: Jan 24, 2019. First guest arrives that weekend.
- Everything in the plan continues except for half bathroom and wall for bedroom 2 will come later
- Reason: Speed of implementation - get a “win” under our belt and start next unit. This way income is produced, and builds momentum.
- Reason 2: by adding the bedroom and bath it will add 1-2 weeks to our timeline (close off 1 window, stucco, exterior paint, plumbing for bath) The walls will be setup perfectly ready for new half bath and bedroom to be added.
- Reason 3: wait for city permit for 2nd bedroom and bath.
- Rearrange project post (chronological timeline), separate purchasing page, go pro video, post craigslist ad for new worker, add gate direction lock, wide angle photos for before and after photos, print plan and principles and post, put masking tape in bag, bring blue bag
Mon Jan 14:
work completed: unit 3 estimate, quick doodle of construction, Ikea bathroom items (not done: Home Depot wood, 3 door locks)
Update: 8 pm-8:40 pm: bought locks and Home Depot 2x4 8 foot wood. Swat will deliver.
Post this ad for handyman.
CRAIGSLIST AD FOR HANDYMAN
Need a handy man to rehab 750 sft and 660 SF apartments.
Need someone for...
- must have your own truck
- must have your own tools
Don’t apply if:
You are dishonest, not within 15 miles of project location, can’t pickup materials, can’t work on your own, can’t provide references, have a criminal record, have a drug problem, can’t text message, can’t speak English, can’t focus, can’t follow directions.
/end status updates
1) investor problem: property loses money, timeline delays guest payment to our bank account, mortgage late fees and foreclosure, contractors want twice the money and do half the work, terrible work ethic, and leaves apartment unfinished. Investor loses property.
Investor vision: Airbnb guest stays in property tonight, leaves a 5-star review with no complaints. Property makes $1500/mo net per unit by finishing ahead of timeline and saves 10% on budget. Pays mortgage 7 days early.
2) Customer problem: unit is dirty, bed bugs, bad location, smells bad, feels unsafe, no parking, beds not comfortable, water/electric doesn’t work, uninspiring theme, 100-145 per night range, bad design, bad smells, unclean
Customer vision: pushes button > books a 5-star Airbnb > walks to beach > wakes up in AIRBNB realizing unique experience with perfect clean beds > unique bathroom/kitchen design they never forget > they wish they live there when they leave review.
3) Contractor problem: late pay, no tools, no gas money, no food money, indecisive, no materials, unclear vision/no plan, late $payout, no skills, no truck, no tools, delay delay delay
Gets paid when he expects to get paid, able to now pay for food, rent, and utilities. Arrives on time, has tools, has materials ready, finishes ahead of time. He nows exactly what is his his next task. Is under pressure to finish otherwise he will not get paid.
Why timelines fail?
Indecisiveness, low iq, low standards, no skill set, unclear directions, go with the flow mentality, surprises in property delay timeline, unclear plan, working on low value tasks first (painting, filling wall holes) and doing tough high-value things last (plumbing, bathroom, and kitchen).
How timeliness succeed: everyone has materials and know what they’re doing NOW, TOMORROW, and is UNDER PRESSURE to FINISH or they lose everything.
Purpose of page
- Do what you say: Keep track of meetings.
- Visual Journal: Capture work being done.
- Timeline: Measuring contractor progress.
Story of Home
This page will follow the progress and execution of the revitalization.
The building is built in 1911.
It’s being converted to a vacation rental destination.
20 minute walking distance to beach.
This progress report will be seen by future sellers, partners, investors and lenders.
Highest priority of guest
Clean > bed > bathroom > kitchen m
- Gray/stainless steel
- wood texture.
- Zen-spa experience
- Geoometric symmetry
Full Alignment Consulting:
Construction Management + Civil Engineering Design
- Civil Engineer: Mark K.
- Project Lead: Swat
- Construction Foreman: Pepe & Associates.
1. Why are you leaving kitchen last?
Because we can’t install the cabinets until floor is done. After floors are done
3. Did you switch WiFi to 1242?
4. What’s your vision after this project?
Do another one with our lenders.
Master Floorplan Design
Create maximum comfort and value by utilizing as much existing wall while converting a 1 BD 1 BA design to a 2 BD 1.5 design.
Summary of Work Performed
We are starting with bathrooms first. There will be a checklist for every unit.
this page follows the development
Alignment of Action
Written in order of action
1. Main bathroom: door opening (done 1/15/19 4:15 pm) remove tub, remove vanity, route plumbing for rainfall shower head, drain pipe size (Pepe 1/16/19 after tub removal) install shower surround, install fixtures, vanity, install mirror
2. Half bath: Master bathroom + closets. Same process as 1.
3. Bedroom 1 - Master bedroom: close door, create new door
5. Living room, reposition heater then remove wall.
6. Bedroom 2:
- remove built ins
- reposition broken window, exterior stucco paint
- window delete/use wood to close window, drywall
- then put up wall divider + door + drywall
8. Paint entire apt
- create a storage with shelves for the project.
Living room baseboard repurpose
- repurpose and reuse at half size.
- The wood is good. Very solid.
These doodles help us visualize the physical changes referenced in the floorplan above.
Living room area
Remove this divider wall
Bedroom 1 closets
Bath #2 from master bedroom with his and her closets
Living room ceiling
Furniture (service for 6)
- 2 queen bedframes and mattresses (in storage, might need 1 better mattress)
- Queen Sofa bed
- 50” (have a 45”)
- 4 accent chairs (in storage)
- Coffee table (in storage)
- Dining table / 4 chairs (in storage)
- kitchen utensils, pans, plate set
(Swat: will make into separate page)
New unorganized images 5:46 pm 1/16/19
bought copper pipes
Martin 12 pm
- Use ipx, hot water red
- change galvanize to black abs..
- hot water and cold apex..
- good plastic piping ..
- for air and drain out abs.
- Plumbing for bath and kitchen.
- Use texture paint to hide imperfections. 1920s ceiling has asbestos - if it’s hard.
- Don’t touch it. It’s cancerous.
- Put a ready compound to cover it.
- Don’t buy vanity from Home Depot, buy from ikea.
- Quartz counter 9 ft $200
Buy 3 sheets 4x8 plywood
completed today plumbing 80% done.
All receipts > google photos link here
Swat arrives with Sophie and aydin
Saturday: new bathroom with plywood